Stocks from the Reddit-forum frenzy are back on the move, with
Blackberry and Koss all up premarket. Here’s what we’re watching before Wednesday’s trading gets underway.
- Joke cryptocurrency Dogecoin has jumped 16% from its 5 p.m. ET price after
said it would allow users to trade it on a platform that is geared toward more experienced investors.
- The meme stocks are back.
has already been on a tear recently, and is up another 23% premarket. Other shares popular among retail investors were also climbing, with
up 7%—and perhaps the flagship stock for the Reddit crowd,
up a relatively meager 0.2%.
- Shares of
which owns a stake in the producer of “Baby Shark,” climbed 6% in South Korean trading Wednesday after Elon Musk tweeted the viral children’s song with a note saying “Baby Shark crushes all! More views than humans.”
- U.S. stock futures meandered around the flat line, suggesting muted moves for major indexes at the opening bell as investors awaited fresh insights on the economic rebound and rising inflation. Read our full market wrap here.
What’s Coming Up
- Earnings are due from
after the close.
- The Fed releases its beige book report on U.S. economic conditions at 2 p.m.
Market Movers to Watch
soared 61% premarket. The biopharmaceutical company is being acquired by MorphoSys for $34 a share in cash. Constellation’s stock closed on Tuesday at $20.24.
shares jumped 2.5% ahead of the bell. The group-video chat provider’s customer count rose sharply and revenue almost tripled in the recent quarter, signaling the tech darling of the pandemic era is enjoying robust customer growth as offices open back up.
slipped 2.8% premarket. The oil-and-gas producer is acquiring Indigo Natural Resources for approximately $2.7 billion.
shares dropped 2.8% premarket. The financial technology company reported quarterly results after Thursday’s close and said it had increased its headcount and its investments in marketing.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
slipped 1.8% premarket, even after the company again raised annual financial projections following a stronger-than-expected performance in the latest period.
shares added 5.1% premarket. The maker of semiconductors that offer artificial-intelligence processing and other features reported better sales and a narrower loss for its latest quarter despite a range of supply chain disruptions.
- Shares of online marketplace
inched up 0.9% premarket. It agreed to buy Depop, a privately held fashion marketplace, for $1.625 billion, consisting mainly of cash.
- The Chinese yuan is at its strongest level since 2018, at around 6.37 to the U.S. dollar. The currency only needs to rise by a little over 5% to hit a new historical high. It has rallied by almost 12% in the last year already.
- AMC Entertainment took advantage of a skyrocketing stock price last week to sell shares to a hedge fund for $230.5 million, it disclosed Tuesday, news that drove its stock higher still. Its share price jumped 23% on Tuesday and is up more than 1,400% for the year, including a furious 116% climb last week.
- On this day in 1997, under orders from the U.S. Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission, Nasdaq reduced the minimum “tick size,” or trading increment, from 1/8 to 1/16 on all stocks with a bid price of $10 or more.
Chart of the Day
- Atlanta-based investment firm Invesco is hoping to manage a piece of China’s $400 billion national pension fund, betting its record of investing ordinary Chinese citizens’ money could help it win the coveted job.
Must Reads Since You Went to Bed
Write to James Willhite at email@example.com
Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8